Translate

Thursday, February 11, 2016

This House by Benjamin Kane Ethridge [3 stars]




From the Description

 
This house...lives on the edge of reality.

What makes a haunted house? The unsettled spirits of the dead? Or the unsettled spirits of the living? When Joey Lodge sustains a severe brain trauma, his delusions take the form of an alien spirit that guides him in the creation of a haunted house. He begins to populate the house with ghosts of his choosing, from family members to criminals, until the line between fantasy and reality blurs and even his delusions start fighting back. As terror in the house ratchets up to a maddening pitch, the alien spirit has one shocking revelation still in store.




I received a copy of this eBook in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this novella.

This House is a different take on a haunting. My heart went out to Joey as he struggled with his disability and the deeply flawed people in his life. All the elements where there for a great story but I spent most of the book wondering what was going on. Every time I thought I had figured it out there was a new twist that turned the story upside down. Nothing is as it seems in this convoluted story, from the haunting to the characters, making you want to know what is going on. Unfortunately the ending left me wondering. While I can't say that I really liked this story it is one that will stick with me, so I'll give it 3 stars.




Buy the Book
 

 


About the Author
 

 


Benjamin Kane Ethridge is the Bram Stoker Award winning author of the novel BLACK & ORANGE (Bad Moon Books 2010). For his master's thesis he wrote, "CAUSES OF UNEASE: The Rhetoric of Horror Fiction and Film." Available in an ivory tower near you. Benjamin lives in Southern California. When he isn't writing, reading, videogaming, Benjamin's defending California's rivers and streams from pollution.

You can find him at
http://www.bkethridge.com/ and on Facebook or Twitter.