Translate

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Immortal Body: The Singularity Cycle Book 1 by William Holloway [4.5 stars]



From the Description:

Detective John Mitchell thought he understood murder. But that all changes when monsters are born during a faith healing at a local church. Psychic Medium Sarah Lynn Beauchamp thought she understood the dead, but the dead have a new plan for her. SAS veteran Dr. Menard thought the War was through with him until an unspeakable evil returns from the depths of a forgotten time. Behind it all, a mysterious figure lurks, controlling the actors from the shadows, ushering an end to reason, sanity and the world as we know it.

I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this book.

The Immortal Body is the first book in The Singularity Cycle. I can't wait until book two comes out because William Holloway does cosmic horror the way it should be done. The descriptive writing takes you from a sense of creeping dread to outright terror as the story draws you ever nearer to the darkness that awaits our heroes. Some of the imagery is truly horrifying and brutal but never overdone or unnecessary. I really liked the cast of characters assembled on these pages. If I had to play favorites I would have to say that I liked Menard, Mitchell and Rodney best. I enjoyed their journey as they struggled first to accept that the horror was real and then fight to not only survive but to stop it. This is a thoroughly engrossing and terrifying addition to the Lovecraftian mythos. William Holloway impresses me more with each book. Definitely a writer I can't wait to read more from. Horrific Tales Publishing will be releasing this terrific book on October 6th.  A fast paced and dark 4.5 star read.