Translate

Friday, September 18, 2015

A Crying Shame by William W. Johnstone [3.5 stars]



From the Description:

Each night they emerged from the murky depths of the swamp to claim another victim—a lovely, innocent, fertile female who would be carried off in huge hairy arms and plunged into a nightmare world of terror. Her screams would echo in the darkness. Her face would contort in the throes of horror and pain. But once taken, each became a mother of an unholy child, a link in the chain of madness and evil, a spawn to carry on the devil's name!

I bought A Crying Shame because it was described as the prequel to Watchers In The Woods, my favorite horror story by William W. Johnstone. While it did take place before the events in Watchers I wouldn't really call it a prequel. It was more like an earlier, less pulled together version of the same story. I still thought that the plot was really good, just not as good. If you are easily offended by non-PC storylines this isn't the book for you. The scenes of horror are graphic and gory, and the tension is really well done. I really enjoyed this story! So why the 3.5 star rating??? The formatting in the eBook version is horrendous. The punctuation is in the wrong places and the upside down quotation marks drove me crazy. It honestly kept throwing me right out of the story when I had to go back to see if it was a description or dialogue I was reading. Books by Johnstone are usually a great read for me but not this time. If you can get past the formatting this is a decent story. A fast paced and frustrating 3.5 star read.