Translate

Friday, August 7, 2015

We Are Monsters by Brian Kirk [4 stars]



From the Description:

The Apocalypse has come to the Sugar Hill mental asylum.He's the hospital's newest, and most notorious, patient--a paranoid schizophrenic who sees humanity's dark side.

Luckily he's in good hands. Dr. Eli Alpert has a talent for healing tortured souls. And his protégé is working on a cure for schizophrenia, a drug that returns patients to their former selves. But unforeseen side effects are starting to emerge. Forcing prior traumas to the surface. Setting inner demons free.

Monsters have been unleashed inside the Sugar Hill mental asylum. They don't have fangs or claws. They look just like you or me.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this novel.

We Are Monsters is the story of a haunted asylum,,, well, not exactly. It's more the story of the monsters and demons we carry around with us. This was an odd book for me. At first slow but then it grabbed me in ways that I didn't expect. For the first half of it I was waiting for something to happen other than the horrible experiments that Dr. Alex Drexler is performing on the patients of Sugar Hill. While that is disturbing it wasn't experiments that would make you think horror story. But then something unexpected happened. I found myself connecting to the characters to the point that I cried several times over the things that were (or had) happened to them. Some of the imagery was horrific and some moved me. By the ending I was hooked. This is Brian Kirk's first novel and I can't wait to see what he does next. A solid 4 star read.