Translate

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Deep by Michaelbrent Collings [4.5 stars]



From the Description:

There are places we were never meant to go... *** A woman searching for a sister lost at sea. A man bent on finding lost treasure. A mother who has lost all hope. A maniac who believes all life exists for his pleasure. The man who would keep them all safe. Together, they will all seek below the waves for treasures long buried, and riches beyond belief. But those treasures hide something. Something ancient, something dark. A creature that exists only to feed on those that would enter into its realm. A creature... of The Deep.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this novel.

I'll admit that I don't dive or know much about diving. I'll also tell you that after reading The Deep I wouldn't even be willing to try it. This is a very intense and frightening book!! The creature was very scary but the parts that I found most terrifying were the dangers involved in diving. The bends, running out of air, being trapped in an environment that is inherently inhospitable to us as air breathing human beings. Nope, not for me thanks! The environment was used brilliantly to increase the tension and fear in this story. As if all that wasn't enough to scare you, we also get to meet Haeberle, a truly cringe worthy character that gave me the creeps. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near this guy let alone in an isolated place like a dive boat out on the ocean far away from land. I liked Sue, Tim and Cal the best and I was rooting for them to be ok at the end of the story. I was also really hoping that someone or something would drown Geoffrey before the end. You'll have to read this fast paced and fantastic 4.5 star novel to see why.