Translate

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Pariahs by Erik Hofstatter [4 stars]



From the Description:

Two disfigured siblings are torn from their beds at night by The Government and transported into an isolated stronghold, hidden in the deepest and most hostile parts of Siberia.

Friendships will be formed and loyalties tested as the siblings struggle to locate one another, but tragedy lurks within the stronghold and blood relation does not always mean family. Destinies are interwoven and fates collide in this explosive novella from Erik Hofstatter, author of the acclaimed Moribund Tales.

I received this eBook in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this novella.

The Pariahs is a very sad and disturbing story. It show the inhumanity that people can have toward those who are considered different. Akilina and her big brother, Demyan, are taken in the night by sadistic government agents who want to experiment on people who suffer deformities from the Chernobyl disaster. The way Erik Hofstatter wrote these characters was brilliant. I really cared about what was happening to them. Not an easy thing to accomplish in a 90 page novella. This is a fast read not only because of the length but because the story moves quickly and I wanted to know what happened next. The only thing I didn't like about this story was the ending. I wanted more! What happens to Akilina? What is the experimental drug supposed to do? I need the rest of the story!! This is a great story and I plan to read more from Erik Hofstatter in the future. A solid 4 star read.