Translate

Monday, June 29, 2015

Agony by E. Michael Lewis [4 stars]



From the Description:

I did it because they deserved it. I did it because I deserved it.

Thomas “Agony” Agonetti: torturer, rapist, serial killer, executed by the state for his crimes. They say his ghost haunts his old stalking grounds, the decaying Twin Lakes Mall. Trevor Westmoreland, a security guard with some imagination, agrees to work the night shift, cruising in circles through vast empty parking lots, warding off trouble. But when a shopper who was Agony’s type disappears, followed by another security guard, the stories of the ghost seem all too real. Now Trevor must do what the police never could: find Agony’s hidden torture chamber and put an end to his killing streak, once and for all.

I received a copy of this novella in exchange for  honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this book.

Agony is a creepy little ghost story! This short story has it all. A dead serial killer haunting a dying mall, great characters, and tons of spooky atmosphere.To me there is something eerie about an empty mall or parking lot, especially at night. The tunnels beneath the mall were very claustrophobic as well. This gave Agony a scare factor before the haunting even started. Trevor is a slightly nerdy security guard trying to deal with both the bullies he works with, and the ghost of Agony. I really liked his character, but my favorite was Chrissy. She is a kick-ass heroine who's ready to help Trevor stop the murders. This was a really fast paced and fun story. I couldn't put it down until I turned the last page. I would love to see what E. Michael Lewis does in a full length novel because his short stories are great. A solid 4 star read.