Translate

Monday, April 27, 2015

Poor Jeffrey by Paul Flewitt [3 stars]



From the Description:

Sometimes magic works...
Grief drives people to extreme behaviour, and when Poor Jeffrey Kinsey is killed, his friends go to some extreme lengths to bring him back…

But Jeffrey’s death isn’t the only thing going on in town...

Several girls have disappeared, only to be found half eaten by an unidentifiable creature later... it’s enough to drive a town insane.
For Tommy, Jade and Chloe the next few weeks will make them or break them… and a story begins…

Poor Jeffrey; he never wanted death to be this way…

I received a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this book.

Poor Jeffrey had all of the elements of a good horror novel. It was fast paced, gory, and even had a cannibalistic serial killer. All the things I usually love in a story, yet,,, I just couldn't get into it. I think part of the problem was all of the foreshadowing. Nearly every chapter had some. To the point I kept hearing,,,,



Or maybe it was the plot twists. There were a lot of them. We have the power hungry man who wants to be Mayor, the aging Sheriff who is having a power struggle with both the power hungry guy and the feds trying to take over the case, a priest that is crazy as a loon, teenage witches, a cannibal serial killer, and then there's Poor Jeffrey. Way too much going on in a town where 'nothing ever happens'. I think this could have been a very good book with a little more work. Paul Flewitt has talent as a writer and I would read more of his writing. This one just didn't do it for me. An ok 3 star read.